Wednesday, February 3, 2010

3rd graders rock!

Usually my recycling tends toward fiber. However, when cleaning out my garage last winter, I came across an entire box of 4-inch white tile. It was left over from building our house on Kelleys Island. My contractor wanted to just put it in the dumpster and I almost did. But, I just couldn't bring myself to pitch all this perfectly good tile. So, I put the box aside and thought about it for a few weeks. I did some Google time looking for projects. I got on some Etsy forums and asked about paints for tile, etc. Someone on there mentioned Pebeo Porcelain paints which become heat-proof once you bake the tiles in the oven. Eureka!!

In my "other" life outside sewing, knitting, and creating, I work with Cub Scouts and love to volunteer in my kids' classrooms. I love coming up with crafts for the kids to make and I REALLY love making those crafts inexpensive or, better yet, free. So, I ordered some cork sheets (definitely not free) and found the Pebeo paints at my local Michael's. The Scouts made trivets for Mother's Day. And, my 3rd grader's class just made these fabulous coasters for Valentine's Day. Watching the kids was an amazing experience. Even the most jaded 9-year-old can still find the time to be super careful and super thoughtful when they know they're making something for mom or dad. It's why I love that age.

I used a Pebeo outliner to make the heart shape ahead of time. It creates a raised edge so painting more neatly is much easier. A major plus for kids.

Happy Valentine's Day from McDowell School! Wait until you see what we're doing for the Valentine's Party craft!!

2 comments:

  1. They turned out beautifully, and they are all so different. The parents are gonna love these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peg! Fun to see your blog. Your cashmere hearts are gorgeous! I"m headed to your etsy site next. BTW, I saw the collaborative show at Hudson Fine Art and Framing before Christmas... I LOVED it. Went back a couple times. Hope to run into you someday.

    ReplyDelete